After Acceptance -Student Exchange- 交換留学 入学までの手続き

Residence permit and visa

To study in Japan, prospective students need to go through the two-step process of obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and an accompanying visa.

Application for Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

Students must first apply to the Immigration Services Agency for a certificate of eligibility to study abroad, which the university will handle on your behalf. It takes at least one month from application to issuance of the certificate. Once issued, we will send the original Certificate of Eligibility to your home address.

The following documents and materials are required for Kyoto Seika University to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) on your behalf. 
1) Certificate of Eligibility Information Form (to be provided as an email attachment upon notification of acceptance)
2) A photocopy of the signature page of your passport 
4) Financial documents (bank statements) showing funds of around ¥100,000 per month

Visa Application

Without a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), you will not be able to obtain a visa. After receiving the certificate from the university, you must apply for a visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate nearest to your place of residence. It takes about five working days to obtain a visa from the day after the application is received, provided there are no problems with the application. 


University Dormitory

Shuko-kan, an international student dormitory owned and operated by the university, is offered to exchange students. Generally, international students will share a room with a Japanese student. If you wish to apply to live in the dormitory, please fill out the application form, which will be attached to your acceptance email, and submit it via email by the designated date.

Apartment / Share House

Kyoto is a compact city. Thanks to a high concentration of universities in the area, a wide range of properties are available in and around the city center and the suburbs to accommodate different budgets. However, not many properties are available for short-term contracts, so it may be challenging to find a property that fits your needs. Even worse, only a few realtors can offer their services in English. In principle, you should find a place to stay on your own. We recommend that you start applying for accommodation as soon as you have received a notification of acceptance from us.
Please refer to the following agency websites. 


If you strongly wish to share a room with other students or you did not manage to find any apartment, the study abroad coordinator could try to find suitable accommodation and match you with other students. However, it is very labor intensive and we do not make such arrangements as a general rule. 

Insurance & Health Care

All residents of Japan are required by law to have statutory health insurance, and exchange students are no exception. Once you have joined, you are only liable for a 30% copay for medical expenses in case of illness, injury, or hospitalization. The monthly premium is affordable at 1,600 yen and provides convenient coverage in the event of illness or hospitalization. Please go to the Kyoto City Sakyo Ward Office to apply for health insurance during the orientation period after arriving in Japan. The monthly insurance fee is approximately 1,600 yen. The premium is non-refundable and must be paid each month, even if you never go to the hospital. You still need to take out a health insurance policy even if you have taken out adequate travel insurance.

Arrival Information

Please note that you cannot enter Japan more than one month before the start of classes, so please be careful when arranging travel plans. Kansai International Airport (KIX) is the closest international airport to Kyoto Seika. For information on how to get to the university from KIX, please refer to the documents enclosed when we send your Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

Language Requirement

All courses at Kyoto Seika University are taught in Japanese, but students may also receive some brief guidance in English. However, unfortunately, not many faculty members are able to communicate well in English, so it is strongly recommended that students learn elementary Japanese conversation skills before studying abroad. We also recommend downloading a voice translator app on your smartphone once you arrive in Japan.